Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Long Conversations to Make Up for Long Silences


The title of this entry comes from something I wrote in my journal today about such things. I have a lot crammed inside of me right now, and it's good to get it out every so often with people I love. In the past week, I've gotten to have a lot of those conversations. It's been very helpful. Thanks.

So, today was a somewhat productive day. I dragged myself to class, and then organized my life by making to-do lists and accomplishing things on them. That felt good. After a royal lunch of Easy Mac and peanut butter on crackers (I'm really getting tired of only having a kitchen on the first floor), I headed off to the library for a while. Then I came back and watched Rushmore in honor of Emily, my Wes Anderson partner in crime.

Naturally, I greatly enjoyed it. I am a big fan of Wes Anderson. I didn't find Rushmore to be as polished or complete as The Royal Tenenbaums (one of my all-time favorites), but it was perhaps more coherent than The Life Aquatic.

I have discovered that the library has a copy of Spanglish. I plan on watching it tomorrow.

I was thinking today about how I often get asked the question, "How do you know so much about these bands I've never heard of?" Or, as I like to interpret that question, "How do you have such exceptional taste in music?" (I jest, I jest...sort of.)


So I've prepared "Sam's Guide to Becoming a Musical Snob."

Step 1: Visit web sites like Pitchfork and Paste to get the latest news on indie music. Also, listen to All Songs Considered.
Step 2: Get a subscription to eMusic. It's the indie version of iTunes music store - complete with no digital rights management (i.e. burn at will).
Step 3: Preview music found at Pitchfork, Paste, All Songs Considered, and eMusic using iTunes Music Store and the amazing Pandora.
Step 4: Download and enjoy said music.

Alternate Route:
Step 1: Get hip friends like Stevie and JT.
Step 2: Borrow music from them as if someone told you they would eat all of your favorite food in the world within the next week if you didn't.
Step 3: Legally acquire said music via eMusic after discovering what you like.

Update: I spent a healthy portion of today editing photos from my trip to Chicago. They are now available on fbook (consider it stolen, Emily and Michelle). For those of you who aren't on the necessary networking evil (NNE I like to call it), I will be posting photos on my .Mac page soon.

Peace,
Sam

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

YAY for rushmore!!! ok, now your last mission is anderson's first film, bottlerocket. you're going a little backwards but i'll forgive you. i'm curious to see how it goes for you. i have yet to find someone who agrees with me in that bottlerocket is the favorite.

Anonymous said...

I haven't seen the whole Wes Anderson canon, but of what I have seen, Bottlerocket is my favorite.

-Charlie

ps. I really dig the code words I have to enter to post stuff. This code word is "xzalaexd"

Anonymous said...

yay charlie!!! i think we should be best friends!!!

Anonymous said...

oops. those two anonymous anonymouses are me. i don't want you to think that i'm not claiming them as my own.
-em