Monday, May 22, 2006

This is not a clever title.

So much excitement today. Emily and I did some scheming about trips between South Bend and Indy, and Alan and I are already plotting some sort of adventure. It will be Sam-and-Alan style, probably involving 16 hour train rides and New York City. And of course something crazy will happen like we won't plan any of it and run into each other in an obscure city in Michigan.

So yeah, I'm apparently heading to Michiana.

Today I watched a movie called Amen (directed by Costa-Gavras). It's about the Catholic Church during WWII. Very interesting movie. I realized that every time I talk about a movie, I can't talk about why I liked it unless the person has seen it because I don't want to give it away. It feels like telling a secret. I want people to experience a movie without any preconceived notons. Anyway, here a couple of neat quotes from one of the main characters (played by Mathieu Kassovitz, the guy from Amélie):

"Do diplomacy and the Gospel belong together?"
"Should we save the Vatican or Christianity?"
"As long as I can testify about the love of Jesus for mankind - for all mankind - then my future is assured."

Here's an assignment for anyone and everyone. Go through the Gospel of John and notice when Jesus asks questions. Which ones jump out at you? Why? I want to know what you think. I've been pondering this for a while. Example (John 14:8-9):

Philip said, "Lord, show us the Father and that will be enough for us."
Jesus answered: "Don't you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time?"

Wait. Stop. Jesus said what? That hurts. Jesus wasn't afraid to ask the tough questions. He continues:

"Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, 'Show us the Father'? Don't you believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in me? The words I say to you are not just my own. Rather, it is the Father, living in me, who is doing his work."

I wanna be like that guy.

Hope you are all doing well. Keep in touch. I want to know what's up with you all. And Michelle, maybe I will get to explaining how I'm a different person, either on the phone or on here.

Peace,
Sam
P.S. Charlie: I'm going to give you a call some time soon. I'm praying for you too, man.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think your title is in fact quite clever, really.

Anonymous said...

not gonna lie, i'm jealous that you'll be in chicago...AND jealous that you'll see emrod before me.
have a good,
masantos

Anonymous said...

P.S. dang, if you, Emily, and Melissa Benson are all up there... I should hit it up. Hm. If only.