Monday, May 15, 2006

A What? (Part 1)

You may have noticed that the title of this page is "Confessions of an Acquitted Felon." I find this to be an accurate description of myself. But what does that even mean? Let's look at the definitions of the words:

Acquit: free from a criminal charge by a verdict of not guilty.
Felon: a person who has been convicted of any of several grave crimes, such as murder, rape, or burglary, punishable by death or confinement.

It appears to be a contradiction in terms. How can someone be both guilty and not guilty? The Gospel means that, despite the fact that I am in fact guilty of several felonies in my heart (shudder), I'm also acquitted by means of the righteousness of Jesus Christ.

More on this later, I'm sure, from smarter people like Martin Luther and St. Paul.

Peace,
Sam

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

YAY!!
sam's blogging!
-em